AP Capstone Course
AP Capstone Seminar coming to Patriot 2015-2016!
College Board describes AP Seminar as "a foundational course that engages students in cross-curricular conversations that explore the complexities of academic and real-world topics and issues by analyzing divergent perspectives. Using an inquiry framework, students practice reading and analyzing articles, research studies, and foundational, literary, and philosophical texts; listening to and viewing speeches, broadcasts, and personal accounts; and experiencing artistic works and performances. Students learn to synthesize information from multiple sources, develop their own perspectives in research based written essays, and design and deliver oral and visual presentations, both individually and as part of a team. Ultimately, the course aims to equip students with the power to analyze and evaluate information with accuracy and precision."Earning Credit for AP Capstone Courses
- AP Seminar is the first of two courses in the AP Capstone™ program. AP Research is the second course. AP Seminar is a prerequisite for AP Research, which is not yet available at Patriot.
- If you earn scores of 3 or higher in AP Seminar and AP Research and on four additional AP Exams of your choosing, you will receive the AP Capstone Diploma™. This signifies outstanding academic achievement and attainment of college-level academic and research skills.
- Alternatively, if you earn scores of 3 or higher in AP Seminar and AP Research only, you will receive the AP Seminar and Research Certificate™.
- Students are assessed through individual and team projects and presentations and a written exam.
To Learn More about AP Capstone Seminar
Capstone Seminar FAQsWho is eligible to participate in the AP Capstone Seminar course?
AP Capstone Seminar is open to rising 11th graders currently interested in a challenging course focusing on the research process. Students will analyze and evaluate information in order to effectively communicate evidence-based arguments in both oral and written form.What will be the expectations for students enrolled in the AP Seminar Course?
Students should have established writing and critical thinking skills, be self-motivated, and able to work in a collaborative environment.If I take AP Capstone Seminar as a Junior, do I also have to take AP Capstone Research as a Senior?
AP Seminar may be taken as a stand-alone option. It is a prerequisite for AP Research therefore, students must take Seminar in order to take Research. However, a student may take Seminar without moving on to the Research course as a Senior. Students who earn scores of 3 or higher in AP Seminar and AP Research and on four additional AP Exams of their choosing will receive the AP Capstone Diploma. Students who earn scores of 3 or higher in AP Seminar and AP Research but not on four additional AP Exams will receive the AP Seminar and Research Certificate.What are the benefits of taking the AP Capstone Course?
According to College Board, AP Capstone offers the following benefits to the student:
How do I register for AP Seminar?
- Fosters the critical and creative thinking, argumentation, and research skills at the core of college readiness and essential for lifelong learning
- Provides a setting to build on the knowledge and rigorous course work of AP in an interdisciplinary format
- Offers a unique opportunity to distinguish oneself to colleges and universities
Students should talk to their English 11 teacher about registering.AP Capstone Seminar is an AP course, will be able to receive college credit?
At this time, college credit is not awarded for AP Capstone Seminar or Research. However, the course has garnered support from numerous universities, recognizing the immense value the courses have for incoming freshmen. "The AP Capstone program will help students to develop critical thinking skills that allow them to think independently, to analyze issues from different perspectives, to communicate clearly, and to conduct independent research. These are exactly the types of skills that they will be expected to utilize in college and the AP Capstone program will give them a terrific head start." —Zina L. Evans, Ph.D., Vice President for Enrollment Management and Associate Provost, University of FloridaHow is a student’s performance in AP Capstone Seminar Assessed by College Board?
Team Project and Presentation | 25% of AP Score
Individual Research-Based Essay and Presentation | 35% of AP Score
End-of-Course Exam (3 Hours) | 40% of AP Score
Please see the Course Overview for a more detailed description.